I value all legitimate comments on this blog. A while back, I made the decision to make all new commenters here be moderated until they had an approved comment. An approved comment is defined as a decent comment that is actually realated to the topic of the post.
So far the moderation rule has worked. My inbox has been less inundated with comments that shouldn’t be here (though I have had a lot of “Please Moderate” requests, but that is OK, since I know that if it is garbage, it is at least not public on my blog). However, I have always had this fear about legitimate comments being diverted into Akismet. While this is a rarity, I’m sure that it has happened more than once. If you were one of my spam filters inadvertent victims, please accept my sincerest apologies.
Oftentimes, I have neglected looking through my spam because of the numerous “comments” that consisted of a random assortment of words with line after line of websites that I’d rather not visit, ads for drugs, life insurance, car insurance. Often, I didn’t even want to look though my filter for the sake of my sanctification. This became especially true if the cue had spams in the thousand-plus range waiting to filter out into the cyberspace of deletion after their fifteen day limit in the cue.
I have recently found a tool that will help in better reviewing my spam cue:
- You need to use the Firefox web browser
- You need to have the Greasemonkey extension installed
- You need to go here and install the Greasemonkey scrip.
This will do a lot of helpful things on your Akismet page.
- It will put the page index at the bottom of the page, where you end up being after you look through the page of spam content.
- It will shrink the multi-lined spams into the space of a couple lines where you can easily view the name, e-mail, URL, and first line of the message and determine comment legitimacy.
It does take a second to load, but it is well worth it. I just went through 301 spam comments in a fraction of the time that it would have taken me without the script extension!
If you have attempted to comment in the past and the comment has not shown up, please try again and if you get caught by Akismet, chances are I’ll notice you and liberate you from the spam designation.
HT: Google and Lorelle on WordPress