There’s a bunch of news stuff to cover for the Yellowstone area, so I thought I’d throw together a singular post with summaries of things going on in the region or things that are pertinent to the region.
- The Grizzly Bear: This is an “old” story, but I know you want my 2¢ on the issue. After 30 years of Federal protection, the Yellowstone region Grizzly has finally, in the opinion of the US Fish and Wildlife Service, recovered well enough to warrant delisting from the endangered species list. Of course, those of us that live next door to the griz have known this for several years. One problem in the delisting that is to take effect at the end of this month: the Feds didn’t take into account global warming. What’s global warming got to do with the griz? Is it going to cause the cave it hibernates in to be uncomfortably warm that it cannot get in a good winter’s sleep?
- Coyote Visits Quizno’s: Awwww! Isn’t he cute, all cuddled up there by the drinks? Enter Animal Control and suddenly the coyote is not peaceful, but viciously feisty. And it was the animal control officials’ fault, right? Ha! Maybe this will give you an insight as to why we in Wyoming don’t like the reintroduced wolves. Coyotes have critters above them in the food chain. As far as has been observed, the wolf brought in from Canada has nothing above it (they even chase off grizzlies)! If the coyote can put up this kind of temper, just think of what a top-of-the-food-chain-wolf could do.
- Speaking of Wolves…: There will be a wolf forum in here in Cody later this month. The meeting/forum is regarding the planned delisting of the reintroduced gray wolf and will be hosted by the US Fish and Wildlife Service. On April 19 from 3 PM- 5 PM, there will be an open house session at the Cody Auditorium for looking at exhibits and asking questions to USFWS officials. Starting at 6 PM, there will be a comment period. Originally, there was only one forum in Wyoming, held earlier in Cheyenne. Tieki Rae will be interested to know that the Cody forum was pushed by Wyoming’s lone US House Representative, Barbara Cubin (R). Kind of neat that Park County ensured Rep. Cubin’s win in the 2006 election 🙂 . Rep. Cubin plans to attend the Cody meeting.
- Geothermal Hazzards in Yellowstone?: You’ll want to be sitting for this, because you won’t believe it. There are geothermal hazards in Yellowstone. I thought the only danger was avalanches on Sylvan Pass?
- Just for fun: The National Park Service used to think highly of the East Gate.